Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Do They Believe?

Romans 9: 1 I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit, 2that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart. 3For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh, 4 who are Israelites, to whom pertain the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the service of God, and the promises; 5 of whom are the fathers and from whom, according to the flesh, Christ came, who is over all, the eternally blessed God. Amen.
I can understand how Paul must have felt about his family, the ones he loved, probably his brothers, sisters, cousins and others who were very religious, but were not committed to the Lord Jesus Christ. I come from a Roman Catholic family, but God, by His merciful grace called me to Himself over 30 years ago. I know the main doctrines of the Christian faith, I know that salvation is all from God and that He comes into a persons dead heart and makes him alive and gives him the ability to believe in His Son for eternal life. That God shows a sinner his rebellious state and his desperate need for a Savior. I know that Salvation is all God's grace.
But because of the love that I have for my family (in the flesh), I continually look for ways to interpret scripture to say that maybe some of them are saved? I reason, 'they believe that Jesus is the Son of God. That He died on the cross for their sins. He rose from the dead and assended into heaven and sits at the right hand of the Father'. If they beleive all that they must be saved. Doesn't the bible say, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved"? YES IT DOES, but what does it mean to BELIEVE? I must always look to God's Word for confirmation. The Bible teaches that true faith or Belief in Christ is seen and demonstrated by a changed life. Just an intellectual knowledge of Jesus is not enough, there must be a realization in the heart of the need for the Savior in the life. There must be the understanding of lostness and separation from God and a need to be delivered. Without this element in the persons heart there is no salvation.

No comments: